Once upon a time in 2018, a cobot manufacturer, a contract packager and Conagra all had compelling stories to tell of packaging production flexibility, optimization and sustainable performance.
Automation uses technology to improve the speed, performance and optimization of labor-saving devices, equipment and systems at the unit, line, plant and enterprise levels.
Automation used to centered on repetitive operations for labor savings, but now also refers to incremental improvements in processing power, safety, batch control, enterprise integration, wireless communications, robotics, measurement and control…and a host of other aspects.
Some developments that have dramatically improved packaging automation this century:
- Communications through networks and wireless capability;
- Motion control including servo drives;
- Robotic systems that are faster, nimbler and more robust;
- Sensors and machine vision systems;
- Touchscreen human-machine interfaces.