Carbon monoxide leak hospitalizes dozens at packaging firm

By John Kalkowski in Cartons on February 13, 2011

More than two dozen people were rushed to local hospitals Friday after employees at H&H Sorting Services fell ill from a carbon monoxide leak in Elgin, IL. Authorities say there were high levels of the toxic gas at the Elgin O'Hare Commerce Center, forcing 38 people to the hospital.


H&H provides automated sorting and sorting-inspection-assembly-packaging services in the Chicago suburb. But H&H wasn't the only company where workers became sick. Workers in other offices experienced nausea and other symptoms.


South Elgin set off its mass casualty alarm, bringing help from 14 additional departments, according to the Chicago Tribune. It is believed the majority of these people will be treated and released.

By submitting this form, you accept the Mollom privacy policy.
500 characters remaining