Healthy habits such as eating well, being physically active, and maintaining a healthy weight are key strategies for managing cardiovascular disease - the number one cause of death in the U.S.) In honor of American Heart Month, Kellogg's is making it easier for shoppers to find its great tasting, fiber-rich heart-healthy cereal options with a new front-of-pack label. The "Kellogg's Heart Healthy Selection " logo will appear on nine varieties, including favorites Kellogg's Raisin Bran, All Bran, Smart Start, and Kellogg's FiberPlus, to remind consumers they have a choice when it comes to eating for their heart.
For over 100 years, Kellogg's cereals have been a trusted way to start the day, providing wholesome nutrition with fiber and whole grains. These heart-healthy cereals can help Americans make the right breakfast choices, while consistently delivering delicious taste.
"We know that these great brands - Kellogg's Raisin Bran, All Bran, Smart Start and FiberPlus - have been long time favorites," said Dick Podiak, Kellogg director of marketing, adult cereal. "Now we've added the 'Kellogg's Heart Healthy Selection' logo on the front panel of these products, so people can easily make the right choice when they're seeking a heart-healthy breakfast."
Take Care of Your Heart With New Kellogg's Raisin Bran Variety
Kellogg's is also introducing a new great tasting variety with Raisin Bran - Cinnamon Almond, giving Americans a new way to enjoy a heart-healthy breakfast. An excellent source of fiber with whole grain, the new cereal combines the great taste of Kellogg's Raisin Bran with the natural goodness and delicious taste of cinnamon and almonds.
The American Heart Association predicts that cardiovascular diseases will increase by about 10% over the next 20 years and that 40% of all adults or 116 million people will have at least one form of this disease. Healthy eating is an important strategy that is recommended to help manage the risk for heart disease. Included in this strategy is eating more fiber-rich grain foods. Fiber from cereal grains has many health benefits. Fortunately, "Kellogg's Heart Healthy Selection" cereals provide a good source of fiber to help make your heart-healthy cereal choices deliciously easy.
More Healthy Habits You Can Take to Heart
Don't miss a beat and look to these tips to help manage your heart health.
• Look for "Kellogg's Heart Healthy Selection" cereal. Kellogg's heart-healthy cereals are great ways to kick start your intake of fiber and whole grain each day. Additionally, they are low in fat, saturated fat and cholesterol and provide many key nutrients that the body needs.
• Pick fruits and veggies. Their vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and fiber do your heart good. Many contain potassium, which helps maintain healthy blood pressure. Adding fruits to cereal can really pack a nutritional punch to your morning breakfast bowl.
• Limit sodium. Eating less sodium (found in salt and other ingredients) may help support healthy blood pressure. Look for reduced - or low - sodium versions of frozen dinners, soups, canned vegetables, and sauces. Prepare foods with less salt and zing up the taste with herbs, spices, lemon juice or flavored vinegar.
• Trim saturated fat, cholesterol and trans fat. They not only raise the calories but can raise your risk of heart disease. Choose lean cuts of meat (with "loin" or "round" in the name) and skinless poultry. Use low-fat or fat-free milk, yogurt and cheese. Buy packaged foods labeled "0 grams" trans fat per serving. Low saturated fat (1 gram or 5% or less of the Daily Value/serving) is ideal.
• Put more fish on the menu. Eat "oily" fish like salmon, trout and herring at least twice a week for their heart-friendly omega-3 fatty acids, and prepare by baking, broiling, grilling, or poaching.
Source: Kellogg Co.