The Top 21 Flexible Packaging Companies, a new 360 Quadrant industry analysis from MarketsandMarkets, identifies 2023’s leading flexible packaging companies.
The vendor evaluationof more than 100 companies included sustainability as a component. Criteria for determining each company’s product footprint included:
- Flexible packaging market by packaging type, including pouches, bags, rollstock, films, and wraps.
- Printing technology, including flexography, rotogravure, and digital printing.
- Material: plastic, paper, or metal.
- End-use industry, including food, beverages, pharmaceuticals and healthcare, and personal care and cosmetics.
- Sustainable initiatives.
According to MarketsandMarkets, the global flexible packaging market was valued at $248.9 billion in 2022. It is expected to grow to $315.5 billion by 2027, with a CAGR of 4.8% between 2022 and 2027.
The seven companies that ranked highest on a combination of product footprint and market presence are: Amcor, Berry Global, Mondi, Sonoco, Constantia Flexibles, Sealed Air, and TC Transcontinental. These seven jointly account for 20% to 25% of the entire flexible packaging market.
The full list of top flexible packaging suppliers is shown below, in alphabetical order. Where applicable, we've added links to recent articles from PlasticsToday and, for others, from sister publication Packaging Digest.
- Ahlstrom is a supplier of fiber-based materials, including release and label papers and food packaging.
- Aluflexpack converts aluminum, paper, and plastic substrates into high-quality films and foils, lids, containers, and pouches.
- Amcor produces flexible and rigid plastic packaging for consumer goods companies in the food/beverage, pharmaceutical, medical, home, and personal-care categories. The company works with mono and coextruded films, biaxially oriented polypropylene (BOPP)/cast polypropylene (CPP) films, polyolefin films, monofilament, protective films, and more.
- Berry Global produces a range of flexible packaging products, including bags, liners, and pouch film, using multilayer plastics, monomaterials, and recycled-content plastics. The company also manufactures injection-molded plastic packaging and thermoformed products.
- Bischof + Klein is a European supplier of plastic composites, high-performance films, specialty films for technical applications, and flexible plastic packaging for industrial and consumer goods applications in categories such as food/beverage, pet food, detergent, and hygiene. The company supplies premade packaging, such as stand-up pouches, as well as material on reels.
- Constantia Flexibles supplies companies in the food, pet food, pharmaceutical, and beverage categories with flexible plastic packaging, aluminum lidding and packaging, paper-based packaging, and rigid plastic packaging.
- The Cosmo Films business unit of Cosmo First supplies specialty films for flexible packaging, lamination, labeling, and industrial applications, with a specialization in BOPP films, CPP films, and biaxially oriented polyethylene terephthalate (BOPET) films.
- DS Smith supplies fiber-based packaging worldwide and is a Strategic Partner of the Ellen MacArthur Foundation.
- Gualapack supplies laminates, premade pouches, caps, and spouts. Pouch materials may be monomaterial or multilayer, incorporating some combination of laminates, compostable and bio-based plastics, aluminum, mixed polyolefins, PP, polyethylene (PE), and paper.
- Huhtamaki Group manufactures consumer and specialty packaging, with emphasis on flexible plastic packaging, molded-fiber packaging, release films, paper cups, and compostable tableware and packaging.
- Mondi supplies paper-based packaging and flexible plastic packaging materials and supplies; the latter include bags and pouches, release liners, and functional films.
- Novolex manufactures films, rollstock, bags, can liners, carry-out bags, lidding, wraps, and rigid plastic packaging. Materials include PET, PP, PE, polylactic acid (PLA), foil, and coextruded materials.
- Novus Packaging produces extrusion-coated and laminated products for food, pharmaceutical, and industrial packaging, including form-fill-seal films and a range of label styles.
- PPC Flexible Packaging manufactures plastic films and packaging for overwrap, shrink applications, sleeves, shrink bands, pouches, bags, bundling, and other applications. It works with many polymers, including PP, PE, coextrusions, laminates, BOPP, ethylene-vinyl alcohol (EVOH), and polyvinyl chloride (PVC).
- Printpack is a leading converter of flexible plastic and specialty rigid packaging, with expertise in adhesive lamination, extrusion lamination, blown film, and cast film, as well as printing.
- ProAmpac manufactures plastic rollstock, pouches, and bags for retail, food, pet food, and medical packaging. Products include a selection with post-consumer recycled (PCR) content.
- Sealed Air supplies flexible plastic packaging, including Bubble Wrap, foam cushioning, shrink bags and films, overwrap, and form-fill-seal films, plus plastic bottles, plastic food trays, and vacuum skin packaging products.
- Sonoco supplies many types of packaging, including flexible plastic packaging in the form of rollstock, pouches, and lidding. The company offers a line of sustainable flexible packaging options with a focus on recyclability and PCR content.
- TC Transcontinental is a flexible packaging leader in the Americas, specializing in extrusion, lamination, printing, and converting. Products include rollstock, labels, die-cut lids, shrink films, bags, pouches, and advanced coatings for consumer goods packaging.
- UFlex, based in India, offers an extensive range of flexible plastic packaging and laminated rollstocks. Products include pouches, bags, and lids made from materials such as BOPET, BOPP, CPP, and metallized films.
- Wihuri operates two packaging divisions, Wipak and Winpak. Wipak has expertise in complex multilayer films and barrier films for packaging perishable foods and healthcare products. Winpak produces thermoforming film, barrel liners, cups, shrink bags, modified atmosphere packaging (MAP) bags, horizontal and vertical films, specialty films, pouches, and lidding.