The Hershey Co. plans to bring an enhanced food labeling system to its U.S. product portfolio. Hershey will provide front-of-pack nutrition information to make it simple and easy for consumers to make choices about the role of confection in their lifestyle.
Hershey will begin to roll out front-of-pack nutrition information in the second half of 2013 and will evolve its product packaging across its varied pack types over the next several years. Hershey also will be updating its website to provide consumer-friendly access to nutrition information.
Front-of-pack labeling is part of Hershey's commitment to well-being- providing:
• a range of choices through a variety of portioned products,
• outreach programs and events that offer tips and experiences to enjoy the goodness of a balanced lifestyle, and
• simple nutrition information on products and additional information accessible through its corporate website.
The Hershey Co.—along with members of the Grocery Manufacturers Assn. (GMA), Food Marketing Institute (FMI) and National Confectioners Assn. (NCA)—are voluntarily implementing front-of-pack labeling to share nutrition information, like the Facts up Front program in the United States and a complementary system in Mexico.
In addition to front-of-pack labeling, Hershey specifically:
• Offers balanced recipes and tips to enjoy a lifestyle of well-being through Moderation Nation, and supports family and school nutrition and activity programs through our membership in the Healthy Weight Commitment Foundation.
• Sponsors Hershey's Track & Field Games, the largest youth activity program of its kind in North America, for the past thirty-six years.
• Participates in the Children's Food and Beverage Advertising Initiative (CFBAI), voluntarily committing not to advertise to children under 12 years of age.
• Focuses on product innovation to deliver great-tasting products that meet consumers' lifestyle interests. Just last year, the company launched Simple Pleasures chocolates with 30 percent less fat than the average of the leading milk chocolates.
Hershey continues to work to help consumers find balance through products and programs that promote well-being. This commitment is rooted in the legacy of founder, Milton S. Hershey, who devoted his life to improving the happiness and welfare of others.
Source: The Hershey Co.