The History Channel will air a new episode of "Modern Marvels" Friday, Jan. 14, 2011, 9/8c, that promises to reveal "the astounding technology and ingenuity required to create our packaged world."
Teaser promo for the show touts the usefulness of packaging: "It's all around us—so much a part of our lives that we forget it's there. But try to survive a single day without packaging."
Among the clips will be:
• How engineers at a Michigan company that designs water bottles found inspiration from a bell pepper.
• Manufacturing secrets from the makers of Bubble Wrap.
• How the U.S. Transportation Command packages and ships America's military goods and supplies.
• How NASA engineers packed a fragile humanoid robot for a trip into orbit.
• How a new easy-to-open package will cure "wrap rage."