When EastPack lands in New York City June 11-13, the powerhouse packaging event will showcase emerging packaging equipment, smart technology, automation systems and other up-to-the-minute solutions.
Taking place at the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center, EastPack is expected to welcome 8,000 attendees eager to get up close and personal with the latest innovations, trends and technology. More than 550 top packaging equipment, materials and solutions providers are slated to display their latest offerings.
This year, exhibits and free educational sessions are organized into a number of hot topic areas, focused on trends and emerging technologies of particular interest to packaging pros.
With interest and investment growing rapidly in 3D printing for packaging and other fields, show organizers have incorporated a number of sessions and exhibits focused on this. Sessions (Booth 102) touching upon various aspects of the field include:
• “Getting Started on the Factory of the Future,” Tues., June 11, 11 a.m.
• “3D Printing Success Stories,” Wed., June 12, noon.
• “Behind Manufacturing’s Mass Customization Trend,” Thurs., June 13, 1 p.m.
Robotics and automation
According to show organizers, global factories will have put more than three million industrial robots to work by 2020. That’s why automated technology and solutions comprise another specialty area of EastPack 2019 in Booth 102. Highlights include:
• “Digital Transformers—Real Examples of How First-movers are Innovating Manufacturing,” Tues., June 11, 3 p.m.
• “Is Your Resume Better Than a Robot’s?” Wed., June 12, 1 p.m.
• “ROI-based Smart Manufacturing,” Wed., June 12, 3 p.m.
Food and beverage packaging
Packaging must balance increasing demand for sustainability, interest in healthful eating, rising material costs, production flexibility and other concerns. To deliver and maintain profitability, industry professionals must seek out methods and technology that empower them keep competitive. Free sessions (Booth 2370) in this topic area include:
• “How Packaging Can Position Your Product as a Healthy Snack,” Tues., June 11, 11 a.m.
• “Sustainable Packaging—What Really Matters to Consumers?” Wed., June 12, 1 p.m.
• “Trends in Snack Food Packaging,” Thurs., June 13, noon.
Contract packaging and manufacturing
Contract solutions appeal to brand owners looking to partner with quality professionals who can meet their exacting standards while also conserving costs. This show section enables motivated professionals to network with potential partners. Exhibitors include:
• Accumold (Booth 757)
• AIP Precision Machining (Booth 453)
• SteriPack USA (Booth 630)
While innovators continue to work on releasing never-before-seen materials for the packaging industry, plastic remains the most used. Metal injection also remains popular. This focus at EastPack 2019 enables attendees to hone in on providers and advancement in this area. Suppliers include:
• C&J Industries (Booth 1657)
• Currier Plastics (Booth 667)
• Liquidmetal Technologies (Booth 749)
• Saint-Gobain (Booth 1815)
Consumers expect labels to do a better job of informing them about a product than they have in the past. Also, demand for specialty films is on the rise, and producers need label production to be efficient and accurate. Exhibitors showcasing solutions in this area include:
• AstroNova (Booth 2229)
• Dartronics (Booth 2207)
• Ward/Kraft Inc. (Booth 2421)
EastPack 2019 registration is now open. Visit the website to sign up or to learn more.
Freelance writer and former Packaging Digest senior editor Jenni Spinner is a trade journalist with more than two decades of experience in the field. While she has covered numerous industries (including construction, engineering, building security, food production and public works), packaging remains her favorite.