Experience packaging through a unique blend of personal activities and educational nuggets at The Packaging Experience, a new display brought to you by Packaging Digest.
Attendees at WestPack 2019 (Feb. 5-7; Anaheim, CA) will be able to visit The Packaging Experience in Booth 5497 from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. on Tuesday and Wednesday and from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. on Thursday. Click the event link to pre-register and attend for free.
Once there, pick your experience or enjoy all four:
1. Virtual Reality Experience
Learn how integrating eye tracking into immersive virtual reality (VR) transforms behavioral research and opens up new possibilities in market and shopper research. Come try the Tobii Pro VR Experience and see firsthand the power of attention data. Test package design and product placement without having to physically produce materials or walk into a store. These tools and insights help brands analyze the key influencers of behavior and decision-making.
Bring your colleagues, too. Your VR experience will be projected so they’ll be able to see what draws your attention in the virtual retail environment.
Tobii Pro will also demonstrate Tobii Pro Glasses 2, which enable collection of data in real-world environments for live view or post-analysis—in the home, in stores, while driving, working, training or shopping.
2. The Psychology of Branding
Learn about the psychology behind branding, labeling and package design, and how it impacts consumer perception. Test your own loyalty and biases in this interactive (and tasty!) experience. How will you fare in these five blind taste tests? Will your brand loyalty be tested once familiar packaging is stripped away?
3. Evolution of a Package
See the evolution of Heinz ketchup packaging through the years. Look at how packaging and consumer trends impact the look and feel of a product’s packaging.
4. 12 Trendy Packs
This inspirational showcase of innovative and boundary-pushing packages—selected by discerning Packaging Digest editors—reflect top consumer trends. Take in this array of novel designs and get the creative juices flowing for your next breakthrough packaging concept.
Other exciting new experiences at WestPack 2019 that are light on “packaging” but heavy in “fun” include:
• Escape Room—Solve a series of puzzles and beat the clock for fun and bragging rights in this exciting medtech-themed Escape Room (located inside a large ambulance on the show floor). Designed for beginners and escape room enthusiasts alike, this expedited Escape Room experience is completed in small groups and lasts just 15 to 20 minutes. Rally your team or meet new people and unlock your puzzle-solving potential. Head down to Hall E to participate.
• Super Soaker Target Practice—Ready. Aim. Soak! Come have a blast at the Super Soaker shooting range in honor of our esteemed 2019 Golden Mousetraps Lifetime Achievement Award Winner recipient Dr. Lonnie Johnson, inventor of the Super Soaker. Experience the evolution of the popular toy firsthand as you try out a variety of Super Soaker models from different eras. Test your aim and learn more about this summertime staple outside the main entrance.
• 3D Printing takes flight—Come see this educational and conversation piece over in the 3DP Zone, where you can learn about breakthroughs and progress in the aerospace industry enabled by 3D printing.
More traditional learning
It’s not all just fun and games at WestPack, though. In addition to these playful activities, the Anaheim event offers these more traditional packaging-related learning opportunities:
Tue., Feb. 5 | 11:30 a.m. - 12:00 noon | Center Stage Booth 100
Tue., Feb. 5 | 11:45 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. | Room 212AB | Lunch & Learn
Tue., Feb. 5 | 12:30 - 1:15 p.m. | Tech Theater Booth 637
Tue., Feb. 5 | 1:00 - 1:55 p.m. | Center Stage Booth 100
Tue., Feb. 5 | 3:00 - 3:30 p.m. | Center Stage Booth 100
Wed., Feb. 6 | 8:30 a.m. - 4:45 p.m. | Room 210C | Workshop
Wed., Feb. 6 | 1:00 - 1:55 p.m. | Center Stage Booth 100
Wed., Feb. 6 | 1:30 - 2:00 p.m. | Booth 768
Wed., Feb. 6 | 1:30 - 2:30 p.m. | Room 210C
Wed., Feb. 6 | 2:30 - 3:30 p.m. | Room 210C
Thur., Feb. 7 | 11:00 - 11:55 a.m. | Center Stage Booth 10
Shana Leonard, vp, Content & Strategy, Advanced Manufacturing Group, UBM Americas, contributed content to this article.