Some surprises mark the packaging designs and strategies of a range of North American retailers.
For the second consecutive year, the editors of Packaging Digest served as judges in the packaging competition for Private Label =>Store Brands magazine.
More than 300 packages were on display at the magazine's Deerfield, IL, offices on April 11, 2013, representing nearly two hundred entries from North American retailers, big and small.
Notable overall packaging trends include:
1. Unique fonts—including scripts, hand-drawn type and edgy treatments of label copy.
2. Warm earth tones—greens, tans and blues (sky) appeared on many packages and not just for earth-friendly products.
3. Stylized photography—along with high-quality printing for maximum shelf impact.
4. Fun, "whimsical" designs—for products targeted to all age groups, not just kids.
5. Limited-edition products/packages—previously the domain of national brands.
One Top Award was chosen, as well as Gold, Silver and Bronze winners in each of five categories: Shelf-Stable Foods; Refrigerated & Frozen Foods; Beverages; Non-Foods; and, new this year, New Lines (which also includes new line extensions).