We may live and do a lot business in a virtual world today, but there's nothing like a little face time.
EastPack, to be held June 18-20 at the Pennsylvania Convention Center in Philadelphia, will provide plenty of opportunities for making personal connections with colleagues, potential supplier partners and more. Visitors will have access to an expo hall filled with the latest packaging technologies, materials, equipment and services, plus a range of ancillary services and technology.
The exhibition hall will feature live demonstrations of the newest products and technologies, including contract services, custom automation equipment and components, new machinery and materials, package design and printing, robotics, software and more. Materials, machinery, advice and expertise will be available for every industry that uses packaging, including foods, beverages, pharmaceuticals, automotive/transportation, cosmetics, computers and electronics, household products and appliances, and more.
Special-feature areas of the exhibition floor include:
The Supply Chain Zone offers a range of material handling and logistics products and services, including solutions to streamline fulfillment and delivery, improve assembly logistics and support, and solve the latest IT, supply chain and warehousing distribution challenges.
The Contract Packaging Zone will showcase the region's leading contract packagers, contract manufacturers, and logistics, warehousing and distribution firms, as well as a host of other service providers.
The Cosmetic & Personal Care Packaging Zone and Medical/Pharmaceutical & Nutraceutical Packaging Zone serve the region's heavy concentration of cosmetic, personal care, medical, pharmaceutical and nutraceutical industries.
The Material Handling & Logistics Zone, with a full array of equipment, products and services for material handling, automation and logistics, includes conveying equipment, palletizers, racking systems, robotics, and warehouse and inventory management systems, along with custom automation and assembly systems and equipment.
The Sustainability in Manufacturing Zone welcomes solution providers of bio-degradable/compostable, recyclable and reusable packaging, as well as recycled materials, non-toxic glues, natural inks, environmentally-friendly coatings and biopolymer packaging. Consultants and contract packagers/manufacturers with expertise in sustainable packaging will also be on hand to answer your questions.
The show will also host the Institute of Packaging Professionals (IoPP) AmeriStar Package Awards presentation ceremony. Since 1945, the annual competition has recognized the most innovative packaging in key markets, including foods, beverages, pharmaceuticals, electronics, health and beauty aids, household products, industrial/commercial products and medical devices. See more about this gala event, co-located with Packaging Digest's inaugural Visionary Awards presentation, on p.5.
All for one
The EastPack show will be co-located with five other shows and entry to all of them is included in the price of one admission:
• Pharmapack North America: Top suppliers of innovative pharmaceutical packaging and advanced drug delivery device technologies will display the latest in packaging design and engineering, packaging materials and components, machinery, contract services and more. Pharmapack presents solutions ranging from blister packaging to drug delivery system components to tertiary packaging for health specialties ranging from asthma to vaccination.
• Automation Technology Expo (ATX) East features the latest in robotics and supporting software and other products and services, including motion control, vision, rapid prototyping, custom assembly and automation.
• Medical Design & Manufacturing (MD&M) East brings tens of thousands of medical device development professionals and leading medical OEM suppliers together to provide immediate hands-on access to the tools needed to accelerate new devices to market. Features of this year's MD&M East, the show's 30th anniversary, include the 15th annual Medical Design Excellence Awards and, for the first time, MedTech Innovate Seminars, two-hour sessions consisting of short talks by top medtech innovators and finalists from the 2013 Design Excellence Awards.
• Atlantic Design & Manufacturing presents solutions in design and manufacturing, including CAD/CAM and rapid prototyping, contract manufacturing, laser technologies, quality testing, inspection and mechatronics.
• PLASTEC East offers the latest in plastics processing solutions, including primary processing machinery, computer-aided design and manufacturing, production machinery, materials, molds and mold components, automation technology and materials handling/logistics. Additionally, a range of contract service providers will be exhibiting.
Honing your skills
Educational opportunities are always part of a great tradeshow, and EastPack is no exception. Ongoing education will be available for free at the Innovation Briefs Theater, conveniently located in the resource hall. Knowledgeable industry experts will give concise, informative technology presentations on an array of topics throughout both days of the event.
In addition, both EastPack and Pharmapack will have a seminar program that focuses on hot issues. For more information on all the learning opportunities at the show, see "Leading lessons" on p.7.
Saving time and money
A handy mobile phone app and web portal are available to help make it easier to navigate and get the most from EastPack. Features include complete exhibitor listings, a networking function, agendas for conferences and Innovation Briefs with optimal customization, complete event information with an interactive floor plan and more. See "A plan in hand" on p.6 for the details.
A 5 percent travel discount is available off the lowest applicable published airfare from American Airlines by using a promotional code available through the EastPack website. Discounted reservations at more than a dozen hotels near the convention center also are available through the website.
Visit www.eastpackshow.com for more information or to register.
Pan Demetrakakes has covered packaging for the trade press for almost two decades.