Sign up for the Packaging Digest News & Insights newsletter.
Kate Bertrand Connolly
March 30, 2023
Winners of the 67th Annual Flexible Packaging Achievement Awards Competition, produced by the Flexible Packaging Association (FPA), highlight a continued emphasis on sustainability and flexible packaging innovation for both functional performance and consumer appeal.
FPA announced the winners on March 29, 2023, in conjunction with the group’s annual meeting, held this year on Amelia Island, FL.
The 2023 competition drew 323 entries and 86 packages (packs could be entered into multiple categories). Altogether, 30 packages were recognized with 38 Achievement Awards.
Serving on this year’s judging panel were Gary Borges, associate professor at the University of Wisconsin – Stout; Charles Marshall, principal at Priority Metrics Group; and Jeff Peterson, president of Peterson Media Group.
The “Expanding the Use of Flexible Packaging” award category held special interest for the judges this year, revealing unexpected applications for flexible packaging.
Judge Peterson noted, in the announcement of winners, that the entries in this category showed “what are people doing that’s brand new, that really hasn’t been done in the marketplace using flexible packaging vs. paper cartons or rigid plastics.”
Highest honors go to fly trap flexible packaging.
The competition’s top winner, Sterling International’s Rescue! Disposable Fly Trap package, demonstrates how flexible packaging can infiltrate new product areas. See photo at top of page.
This pouch earned manufacturer Glenroy Inc. not only the Highest Achievement Award but also dual Gold Awards, for Packaging Excellence and Technical Innovation, and a Silver Award for Expanding the Use of Flexible Packaging.
The innovative Rescue! package offers a safe, easy answer to the problem of outdoor flies. To prepare the product for use, consumers cut along a dotted line at the top of the package, exposing the trap entrance, and then add water to the pouch and hang it up. The pouch’s construction protects consumers from the powerful fly attractant within.
To learn the details of the other 10 Gold Award winners, start our slideshow, below. Winners are listed in alpha order by the name of the product/package.
The 2023 Silver Award winners are:
• Apex Protein Snacks Meat Sticks
• Eco Vue Single Dose Ultrasound Gel Packet
• F-UHB-M Ultra High Barrier and High Metal Bond Metallized Polyester Film for Aluminum Foil Replacement
• Frito-Lay Compostable Snack Packaging at Coachella Music Festival
• HP HDX Lubricant Oil Stand-up Spouted Pouch, 1-L
• Lali Morning Protein Bites in an Amimia PE Plus Recycle Ready Pouch
• McDonalds 2022 Pokémon Card Overwrap
• Metropolitan Tea Compostable Tea Envelopes and Overwraps
• Nestlé San Pellegrino Sparkling Water Integritite 33% PCR Bundling Collation Shrink Film
• Okam Rice Recyclable Flat Bottom 3D Pouch, 5-kg
• Paper Boat Coconut Water Shaped Stand-up Pouch, 250-ml
• Pet Medical Product Pouch
• Profol’s SBB Synthetic Bacon Board
• Purition Single-Serve Smoothie Meal Replacement Powder
• Rescue! Outdoor Disposable Fly Traps (also winner of the Highest Achievement Award and two Gold Awards)
• Scotts Miracle-Gro Rescue Outdoor Plant Potion (also winner of a Gold Award)
• Supply Indica Vape Pen, 300-mg
• Walex Commando Black Holding Tank Cleaner Store Drop-off Recyclable Pouch
• Whole Foods Baking Mix Flat Bottom Pouches
• Ykibble Baked Dog Food 5-Panel PTC Zipper Pouch, 9.5-kg
• Z Natural Foods Whole Milk Powder
About the Author(s)
You May Also Like
What Role Does ESD-Safe Packaging Serve?Mar 1, 2024|5 Min Read
Kellogg’s Pushes Sustainable Packaging from Good to Gr-r-reat!Feb 29, 2024|3 Min Read
Healthcare Packaging News and Top IssuesFeb 29, 2024|4 Min Read
Best in New Food and Beverage PackagingFeb 28, 2024|3 Min Read