“Producer Responsibility is a business, and the brand owners will be a key stakeholder in that,” says AMERIPEN executive director Dan Felton in this 30-minute podcast about packaging policy predictions for 2021.
Felton has identified two policies he feels are most likely in the coming year:
1. Industry financing proposals, including Extended Producer Responsibility (EPR) at a state level;
2. Recycled content mandates.
Felton tackles tough questions as he explains…
• Who is likely to pay?
• How will the funds be used and to what benefit?
• With so many brands advancing sustainable packaging voluntarily, why is producer responsibility legislation even needed?
• How can brands selling nationally and globally manage possible mandates at the state level?
• How will the incoming administration in DC influence Extended Producer Responsibility (EPR) policy discussions or direction in the US?
• What might be the implication of the Flexible Packaging Association’s agreement with the Product Stewardship Institute (PSI) on “legislative elements of an EPR bill for packaging and paper products”?
• How might policies effect packaging design?
• What can or should brands do?
PACKAGING POSSIBILITIES - Season 1: Episode 1
If you have a topic you’d like to propose for a future PACKAGING POSSIBILITIES episode, please email Lisa Pierce at firstname.lastname@example.org.