As the regulatory policies are strict and rigid, Riverford Organic Farms near Northallerton in England has come up with a solution that will help users compost packaging. The single-use compostable plastic created by Riverford will be available by the end of 2020. People who are unable to compost at home can return the packaging with their reusable veg box to the company. Sustainable initiatives like these will help grow the environmentally friendly packaging market, as well as will keep the environment safe and clean.
Globally, the demand for eco-friendly products and packaging materials is increasing, partly to reduce the harmful toxicants in the environment. The continuous emission of harmful and toxic gasses through industries and from various other sources continues to have an effect on global warming, which supports the cause of sustainable packaging.
Various government and non-government organizations are working to reduce toxic waste emissions and pollution in the form of landfills. Thus, there is a high demand for packaging that is environmentally friendly and biodegradable. Moreover, various governments across the globe are framing stringent policies that will also boost the demand for sustainable packaging. And numerous companies are taking initiatives to use eco-friendly packaging, including participating in Extended Producers Responsibility (EPR) programs.
Furthermore, rising demand for packaged food products and personal care products packaging have affected the growth of packaging industry and sustainability.
In the report on Green Packaging Market published by Transparency Market Research, statistics indicate the market is expected to increase at 6.20% of CAGR during the forecast period from 2015 to 2021. The value of the market is anticipated to reach up to US$203.1 billion by the end of 2021. Leading players in the market are also analyzed, including Rexam, Amcor, Be Green Packaging, DuPont, Evergreen Packaging, DS Smith, Mondi, Nampak and Sealed Air.
Here are five factors affecting sustainable packaging today:
1. Increasing environmental concerns and effective regulatory policies implemented by governments will significantly boost demand for eco-friendly packaging in coming years.
2. Technological advancements in the production of green packaging materials that reduce harmful gases will fuel the market.
3. On the other hand, higher production costs associated with environmentally friendly packaging materials will affect profit margins. This factor may have a negative impact and hinder innovation in the sustainable packaging market in next few years.
4. In addition, limited awareness among people regarding types of sustainable packaging has limited its growth. However, concrete steps taken by governments to increase awareness and educate people about the positive effects of green packaging should make a difference.
5. According to the regional analysis, the U.S. is leading in sustainable packaging, with numerous companies operating in industrial and manufacturing sectors. Moreover, countries in the Asia Pacific region are also considered as offering lucrative options for the green packaging market.
Moiz Adenwala is assistant manager at Transparency Market Research, a market intelligence company providing global business information reports and services. The company’s blend of quantitative forecasting and trends analysis—using rigorous primary and secondary research techniques—provides forward-looking insight for thousands of decision makers in a range of markets and regions.
PackEx Montréal 2018 offers everything from design to manufacturing—concept to market—with valuable free presentations available throughout the event at Center Stage. See more suppliers, products, and networking opportunities to help you take your projects, company, and career to all-new heights. REGISTER NOW!